- Client: DG Energy (ENER) (European Commission)
- Implementation period: September, 2020 - August, 2022 (Completed)
- Geographic coverage: Europe, European Union
- Theme: Energy
- Topic: Renewable and Low-carbon Energy
- Experts: Koen Rademaekers, Andrea Demurtas, Frank Gérard, Onne Hoogland, Perla C. Torres Vega, Liliana Guevara Opinska, Ling Ying Lee, Ondřej Černý, Nora Cheikh, Jessica Yearwood Travezán
A consortium led by Trinomics and including E3M, LBST and Artelys supported the European Commission, DG ENERGY with the preparation of the Impact Assessment supporting the revision of the Renewable Energy directive. The review of the renewable energy targets is one of the key initiatives of the European Green Deal, as renewable energy is one of the main pillar contributing to increase the EU greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction for 2030 to at least 55% compared to 1990.
The project team provided a qualitative and modelled assessment of several options across 8 thematic areas: overall renewable targets; system integration; heating and cooling; renewable electricity; transport; buildings; industry; and bioenergy.