- Client: DG Structural Reform Support (REFORM) (European Commission)
- Implementation period: January, 2022 - May, 2023 (Completed)
- Geographic coverage: Belgium
Promotion of Hydrogen Value Chain and Open-access Network for Flanders
The region of Flanders (Belgium) offers key opportunities for hydrogen deployment and transport. However, many regulatory uncertainties still exist which may hamper the development of hydrogen infrastructures. Trinomics was contracted by the European Commission to conduct a study to promote the hydrogen value chain and open-access network in Flanders and identify regulatory gaps and needs.
The main objective of the project is to provide Flemish authorities and stakeholders (VLAIO and Port of Antwerp) with recommendations to improve the Flemish regulatory framework in order to achieve two outcomes:
1. The development of a regulatory roadmap for the expansion of the hydrogen economy and development of an open-access hydrogen network in Vlanders and Belgium more broadly
2. A toolbox for the optimal management of funding instruments to optimise the contribution of Important Projects of Common European Interest (IPCEI) to support the transition of industrial value chains in the Region of Flanders
The study was conducted by Trinomics (lead) and VITO. The project runs from January 2022 to May 2023.