Trinomics has been awarded a study contract by the European Environment Agency (EEA), in collaboration with ARCADIS Belgium, to research and analyse the various options for reducing climate change induced risks of flooding with green infrastructure solutions (such as natural water retention measures (NWRMs)). Further, the research will that present evidence of whether natural solutions provide cost-efficient flood protection when compared to traditional grey infrastructure solutions. In doing so, we will make sure that:
- The solutions are presented in the context of the 2nd draft River Basin Management Plans and the Flood Risk Management Plans;
- The study provides understanding of whether and how green infrastructure with respect to nature-based flood management solutions has been addressed by Member States;
- The study identifies and analyses in-depth the arguments for improved coordination and planning between upstream and downstream areas;
- The study sheds light on the potential of up-scaling best practice solutions;
- The study includes an analysis of the economic benefits.
- The results are delivered in spatial and valuing units useful for European environment and regional policy purposes.
If you have any questions or comments, don’t hesitate to contact Jeroen van der Laan.