- Client: The Nature Conservancy
- Implementation period: December, 2019 - July, 2020 (Completed)
- Geographic coverage: European Union
How can Nature-Based Solutions be scaled-up within Europe?
Successfully achieving the Paris Agreement goals requires a multifaceted approach to the decarbonisation of our economies. The transition of energy systems to less carbon intensive alternatives will likely not achieve net zero emissions by 2040, therefore complementing such actions with other climate change mitigation strategies are required. Implementing nature-based solutions (NBS) are seen as a key component in mitigating land-based emissions, yet these have been insufficiently implemented to date.
An understanding of key leverage points to unlock incentives across the complex policy landscape in the EU is required. Through reviewing a range of policy areas and strategies, key opportunities for landscape carbon sinks to play a greater role in emissions abatement in the coming years were identified. Many of these explicitly or implicitly provide opportunities for market-based instruments and therefore private sector involvement. This project was designed to assist The Nature Conservancy (TNC) to develop a clear understanding of the policy landscape in the EU in relation to NBS and emissions mitigation, including key opportunity identification and stakeholder mapping.
As such, this project informed TNC’s strategic direction for forest and climate strategy in the EU, through analysing and mapping the key policy areas and actors related to NBS throughout Europe.
The project was conducted by Trinomics between October 2019 and July 2020.
The key objectives of the project are/the key findings of the project are:
- Providing an overview of relevant political, policy and governance context within and across the EU;
- Analyse key policy areas to identify NBS opportunities for climate change mitigation;
- Analyse the potential for market-based instruments or other forms of private sector participation in carbon sequestration in NBS landscapes in priority policy areas;
- Develop NBS stakeholder maps;