- Client: European Commission - DG Environment
- Implementation period: December, 2016 - December, 2019 (Ongoing)
- Geographic coverage: European Union
Provision of technical support related to Target 2 of the EU Biodiversity Strategy to 2020 – Maintaining and restoring ecosystems and their services
The objective of this contract is to provide technical support to the Commission Services in the development and implementation of actions under Target 2 of the EU Biodiversity Strategy, which focuses on maintaining and enhancing ecosystems and their services by establishing green infrastructure and restoring at least 15% of degraded ecosystems. The project is conducted by Trinomics in collaboration with IEEP (project lead), UNEP-WCMC and IUCN. The project runs from December 2016 to December 2019.
The specific support tasks include:
- The collection of information on Member State activities,
- The development of case studies,
- Workshop organisation, and
- Supporting the Commission in the development of guidance documents and technical reports.
Outputs delivered during the first year of the project include 28 factsheets on the implementation of green infrastructure in each Member State, available here. The team also supported DG ENV in the preparation of a forthcoming Commission guidance on EU-level Green Infrastructure, by analysing the possibilities for financing EU-level GI under the current EU funding instruments to 2020 and by developing case studies presenting past EU-funded projects meeting the criteria for EU-level GI.