- Client: European Environment Agency (EEA)
- Implementation period: 2018 - 2018 (Ongoing)
- Geographic coverage: Europe
What indicators best measure progress towards the EU’s energy objectives?
The project involves the provision of assistance to the EEA in sourcing and analysing potential indicators to monitor progress towards EU energy policy objectives. The indicator set needs to be updated and expanded to more fully cover the diverse and evolving set of objectives. The EEA will begin to utilise the expanded indicator set next year (2019).
The project is being led by Trinomics in collaboration with Aether. The project will run from May to November of 2018.
The current set of EEA energy indicators includes:
- Final energy consumption by sector and fuel
- Energy intensity
- Efficiency of conventional thermal electricity and heat production
- Intensity of final energy consumption
- Primary energy consumption by fuel
- Share of renewable energy in gross final energy consumption (see figure)
- Progress on energy efficiency in Europe
- Overview of electricity production and use
See also the EEA webpage on energy indicators