Boosting Building Renovation: What potential and value for Europe?
The paper consists of a thorough review of the state of the European building stock and assesses various policy options (regulatory, financial and fiscal, information- and labelling- related) as well as their potential for boosting energy efficient renovation of buildings in Europe.
The Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (ITRE) of the European Paliament has published in October 2016 the paper titled ‘Boosting Building Renovation: What potential and value for Europe?’ authored by Trinomics.
Key findings of the research can be summarised as follows:
- A full range of policy measures is needed to address current barriers and be able to boost renovation.
- Policy measures should address the full range of building types
- Focus should be on measures with the greatest energy savings potential
- Priority should be given to policies implying lowest cost while resulting in highest impact
- The resulting policy package should consist of a combination of mandatory and voluntary schemes, recognising that voluntary schemes may need to become mandatory when results are not achieved over a set timeframe.